Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Carrot Cake Oatmeal

The more I read food blogs, the more I notice an absolute obsession with oatmeal.  Kath Eath Real Food.  The Gracious Pantry.  There are many others.

I never shared the obsession.  I always thought oatmeal was...just...okay.

I was wrong.

The problem was that I had never gotten creative enough with my ingredients.  And that I had never included any egg whites (who knew?).

This recipe will work with regular or instant oats.  If you use instant / packet oats, be sure the only ingredients are oats (or other whole grains / seeds) and maybe a pinch of salt.  No sugar.  No flavorings.  No colors.  No other ingredients at all.  In general, I would recommend steel-cut oats or other long-cooking, minimally-processed oats.  But instant is what I happened to have on hand.

This will make the world's most filling breakfast, given the protein from the oats, the egg whites, and the nuts, and the fiber from the oats and the carrot.  You might not feel a desire to eat again all day!

One packet of instant oats
Water, according to packet instructions
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 cup of finely grated carrot (about 3 carrots' worth)
small handful of walnuts
sprinkle ground cloves
sprinkle ground nutmeg
sprinkle ground cinnamon

Prepare the oatmeal according to instructions.  When the oatmeal has been fully prepared, stir in the (raw) egg whites.  Fear not -- the heat of the oatmeal will cook them!  You will be amazed at how fluffy the oats get when you stir in the egg whites.

Add the rest of the ingredients and stir.

Prepare to become obsessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...