Thursday, March 8, 2012

When Life Hands You Avocados...

A few weeks ago at the grocery store, we wound up accidentally taking a home an entire bag of someone else's groceries.  We're not sure how it happened, but by the time we noticed (at home), it wasn't practical to consider returning the items to the store.  We decided that the best thing we could do for our karma was to make the most of the unexpected bounty and then pay it forward later on.

The bag contained quite a large number of ripe avocados.  I'm happy to eat a chopped avocado straight up (as are my kids), so we ate many of the avocados just like that.  But by the end of the week, we were ready for something different.

I scooped the flesh out of two avocados and put it in the blender with about a cup of frozen blueberries.  I added just enough water to allow the blender to work, and then served the resulting "blueberry pudding" with a dollop of fat-free Greek yogurt.


It looked delicious, but -- in full disclosure -- I thought it tasted disgusting.  It clearly needed sugar (or something) to make it taste the way I expected.  But I don't generally like to add sugar to foods that stand well enough on their own (in this case, avocados and blueberries).

I didn't care for it (at all), but the "pudding" was made, and the kids were excited, so I let them taste it.

I expected "yuck" faces.

But I didn't get them.

They loved it.

They made such a mess in the course of devouring their pudding that I had to strip off their shirts before allowing them to continue.

They EACH finished an entire bowl!



I'm guessing they loved it because they didn't have any pre-conceived notions of what "pudding" should taste like.  [Another argument for keeping kids away from brand-name, processed "foods."]

So, thank you to whomever purchased those lovely avocados.  We enjoyed them chopped up all week, and then we got to try a fun new preparation that was a big hit with the under-three crowd!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...