Thursday, March 29, 2012

Beet Crostini

A recipe that uses the whole plant and feeds the whole family!  A winner!

1 baguette, sliced
1 beet, including leaves and stems
1 cup of part-skim ricotta cheese

For this simple recipe, I toasted slices of baguette in the oven (425 degrees for 5 minutes).

While the slices of bread were toasting, I diced a cooked beet, raw beet greens, and raw beet stems into tiny pieces.

When the bread had toasted up to a nice, golden brown, I spread cool, part-skim ricotta cheese on it and then topped it with the diced beets, beet greens, and beet stems.

The result was a salty/sweet, crunchy/smooth, warm/cold treat that was a study in opposites and, therefore, a perfect snack no matter what you might be craving.


My daughters loved this.  My three-year-old enjoyed using a butter knife for the cheese and assembling all the ingredients on the toast.  My one-year-old liked eating the bread and beets as finger food, and then had a blast smearing the cheese around with a spoon.

For my part, I found that I could pretend that I was eating an appetizer at a fancy restaurant.  That's pretty impressive, considering I was sitting in my kitchen with two kids who were turning their hands bath-worthy purple with beet juice while I ate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...