Saturday, January 21, 2012

Cauliflower, Parsnip, and Potato Mash

My husband is a picky eater, so I have to resort to hiding vegetables in other food to get him a proper allotment of vitamins and minerals.  I know people have been doing this to their kids for generations, but it’s harder to hide things from a grown adult!

Nevertheless, I’ve had some success. 

I made mashed potatoes a few nights ago that were scarfed down by my husband, my toddler, and my infant.  They should have known something was amiss when low-carb Mama ate the mashed potatoes, too.  But they were too busy feeding their faces to notice!

Ingredients:
2 potatoes
4 parsnips
1 head of cauliflower
1 cup of milk

I started a pot of water for boiling and then set about chopping my veggies into 1-inch pieces.  My husband and the girls were safely downstairs watching a football game…or so I thought!  Just as I started to peel the parsnips, my husband trudged up the stairs with the toddler over his shoulder for a diaper change.  Yikes!  I went about my business, and tried not to look too guilty as I slid the cauliflower behind the pot of water on the stove.


With my husband back downstairs, I finished separating the cauliflower into florets and chopping the parsnips and potatoes (I left the skin on the potatoes).  When the water came to a boil, I dumped everything in and allowed it to cook for ten minutes.  After ten minutes, I drained the veggies and put them in a bowl to mash by hand, adding milk until I got my desired consistency.

When I served the mashed potatoes, my husband looked askance at them.  “What were those long white things I saw you peeling?”

“Parsnips, dear.”  [He likes parsnips.]

“Parsnips?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, just TELL me you put parsnips in the potatoes, okay?”

“Okay.  I put parsnips in the potatoes.”

He happily ate his parsnip potatoes, blissfully unaware that he was eating mostly…cauliflower. 

Success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...