Thursday, January 12, 2012

Garlicky Sauteed Collard Greens

This standard recipe works with pretty much any dark, leafy green.  I happened to have collard greens in my fridge.

First, I started a pot of water boiling.

Then I cut the stems out of the collard greens.  They're much too thick to eat.  I'd like to say I saved them for a veggie stock, but I didn't.  I still have a lot of chicken soup left over!

I stacked three or four leaves together at a time, rolled them up, and cut them into ribbons.  [Thank you wisdom of the Interwebs for that trick!]

I tossed them in the boiling water for about two minutes and then drained them.  From there, I dried them (not thoroughly, but I didn't want them to be dripping...) and then put them in a skillet with a teaspoon chopped garlic, a teaspoon of olive oil and some red pepper flakes.  I pushed them around with a spoon until they were coated well with the olive oil and the garlic was browned, about three minutes.

Voila!  A fancy and nutritious side that's easy enough to make on a weeknight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...