Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pumpkin, Apple, Zucchini Muffins

My husband is usually the breakfast cook for our family.  He does a wonderful job cooking us hot eggs and toast, even on busy weekday mornings.  On this rainy Saturday, he and the kids are sleeping in, and I've been sneaking around in the kitchen.  Today's menu: Pumpkin, apple, zucchini muffins.

I admittedly started with a pumpkin muffin mix from Trader Joe's.  It has more sugar than I would like, as well as an additive (Arabic gum), but it's pretty clean compared to most boxed cake mixes.  The box directions call for water, eggs, and oil.  I substituted egg whites for the eggs, and applesauce for the oil.  Then, I grated in about a cup of zucchini, just to see what would happen.


They turned out exactly as I hoped.  After 18 minutes in the oven, the muffins emerged sweet, chewy, and delicious.  I paired mine with a small scoop of plain, fat-free Greek yogurt topped with a dusting of ground nutmeg.  The cool, tart cream contrasted perfectly with the warm, sweet muffin; I could've sworn I was having cream-cheese frosting.


...And the best part?  I'm eating this plate of heavenly, baked goodness, sipping a cup of hot tea, and the entire family is STILL asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...