Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sodium in Beet Greens?!

While I was eating my lunch (beet greens and brown rice) at the office today, I decided to look up the nutritional profile of beet greens. I had never actually eaten them before, so I was unfamiliar. It turns out that they’re nutritional powerhouses, with tons of vitamins and minerals, plenty of fiber, and lots of protein (similar to kale and other greens).

But they’re also surprisingly high in sodium. Who knew?!

One cup of cooked beet greens has about 347 mg of sodium, or 14 percent of the recommended daily allowance. When compared to canned soup and other sodium-laced processed foods, the amount of sodium in beet greens is nothing.

But I was nonetheless surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...