Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Kale chips!

From everything I've read about joining a CSA (at least in my geographic area), you have to develop a deep, loving relationship with kale.  You'll get lots, and lots, and lots of it.  I grabbed some kale from Trader Joe's last week, and decided to start my learning process with kale chips.

I'd heard that kale chips were a good as potato chips, with a lot less calories and lot more nutrients.  I usually assume that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  But not in the case of kale chips!  I tossed some kale with olive oil, coated a pan with cooking spray, spread them out on the pan, and then popped them in a 425 degree oven for 5 minutes (they probably could have used 6).  When they emerged from the oven feeling crisp, I sprinkled them with a little garlic salt and a little paprika while they cooled.  They were phenomenal.  Thin and crispy like a perfect Lay's potato chips, but with an additional richness from the garlic and paprika.


Why eat junk food when you can have these?!  These are still a treat, because there was probably one to two tablespoons of olive oil in the plate of chips.  But these a great way to enjoy kale, and to get some much-needed vitamins in a way that feels absolutely sinful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...