Saturday, October 29, 2011

"Noodles" in Soy Sauce Broth

I've had plain, cooked spaghetti squash in the fridge for a couple of days, and have been trying to decide what to do with it.  Several years ago, I tried to serve spaghetti squash to my husband with tomato sauce, and he absolutely rebelled.

Admittedly, spaghetti squash is a really sad substitute for the real thing.

I've found that I really do like spaghetti squash when it stands alone, rather than as a weird, quasi-version of something else.  Hubby, on the other hand, has never so much as tried it again after the initial, bad experience.  But, I think there might be a middle ground.

Perhaps spaghetti squash would be good in place of noodles with a thin, Asian broth?

My husband fell in love with "thin Asian soup" on a cruise we took several years ago.  The chef clearly specialized in Asian broths, and my husband has a culinary adventure with the soup each night of the trip.

I started with this recipe in mind.  I put a pound of stew beef in the crock pot and topped it with 7 cups of water, 1/2 cup of ketchup, 1/2 cup of soy sauce, a tablespoon of red wine vinegar (I didn't have rice wine vinegar), a few drops of dark sesame oil, and some red pepper flakes.  Then I snipped in some fresh basil and added about a cup each of chopped onions and carrots.



After about eight hours in the crock pot, the result was superb.  I warmed the spaghetti squash in the microwave and then put it in bowls with a few more snips of fresh basil.  Then I ladled the soup over it.


The spaghetti squash was firm and just a bit crisp: the perfect consistency for noodles in a soup.  My husband even ate them!  He had two bowls!

And, then, just for fun, here's a shot of my toddler attempting to eat the "noodles" with chopsticks just like Mama and Dada.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...