Monday, December 26, 2011

Carrot-Raisin Salad

This is the exceptionally sad story of my hyper-local carrots.

Last weekend, I looked out over my deck to the space where my daughters and I had a small vegetable garden in the back yard last summer.  Much to my surprise, I saw carrot greens sticking up!

In case I doubted that carrots were still growing locally in December, my own neglected garden showed me that a beautiful bunch of carrots could indeed be harvested in Maryland the week before Christmas.

Look how excited I am about my carrots!!


I brought them in the house and intended to wash them later.  Later turned into a few days, and the carrots were still in the fridge -- unwashed, with greens still attached -- when my husband came home from a business trip.

When he got home, he took one look at them and threw them directly in the trash.

When I found out about this, I freaked out.  "Why would you throw out perfectly good carrots?!"

His response: "They were dirty."

I almost fainted.  "THEY ARE DIRTY BECAUSE THEY CAME FROM THE GROUND!"

The bleach-dunked, machine-lathed, pre-bagged "baby" carrots at the grocery store have clearly made an impression on my otherwise very smart and wonderful husband.

We clearly have a long way to go on our local food journey.

This recipe for carrot-raisin salad is what I would have done with my hyper-local carrots.  Instead, I did it with the other carrots in the 'fridge.  At least I can take solace in knowing that they are "clean."

Carrots, shredded (as much as you want)
Raisins (until the carrots-raisin ratio looks right to you)
Plain, fat-free Greek yogurt (enough to coat carrots and raisins lightly)

Put everything in a bowl and mix it together.


Sprinkle ground nutmeg over the top.


Easy and delicious.  If not hyper-local.

I handed a small bowl of this salad to my toddler while she was completely engrossed in an episode of "Fraggle Rock."  She broke her concentration long enough to say, "Mama, I love this snack!"

I guess it doesn't matter (that much) where our food comes from, as long as we enjoy it.  Right?

2 comments:

  1. My husband also said, "I can't believe we're having a fight about CARROTS!" :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...