Saturday, December 3, 2011

Metro Diner

I am continually impressed by the Metro Diner in Annapolis.

I have been there many times before, but every time I go, I find something new, interesting, and completely unexpected.  The food is organic and local.  It's a great environment for kids.  And the price is right.  Every restaurant should be as consistently excellent as Metro Diner.

Today, I had a burger made with local bison, topped with feta cheese, red onions, and rocket, and a side of sweet-potato french fries.

I felt like each component of my meal was selected and prepared with extreme care.  This wasn't the usual beef burger with imitation cheese, a mealy tomato, and a pale piece of iceburg lettuce.  This was a burger worth eating.  Worth savoring.  Bison?  Feta cheese?  Red onions?  Arugula?  This is gourmet stuff.  At a diner!  And the side wasn't an after-thought, either.  My fries were seasonal sweet-potatoes done to a perfect crispness and finished with just the right amount of salt.

I can't believe how little I paid for such an incredible meal.

More than anything, though, I was excited to learn that the bison was grass-fed and local, from Gunpowder Farms in Monkton, Maryland.

Bison is a more sustainable choice, as well as a more healthy one, than feedlot beef.  Bison meat actually has less fat and cholesterol than beef, pork, chicken, or salmon, while containing more iron and vitamin B-12.  What a great deal!

Metro Diner has been in regular rotation in our family's restaurant line up since it opened.  Now that we're focused on sustainable, local choices, it's likely to become even more of a favorite than it already is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...