Sunday, December 18, 2011

Two-Potato and Leek Soup

I generally like potato and leek soup, but it can be a little...boring.

So, I decided to spice it up a little.

The first thing I did was take on its pallid coloring by throwing a sweet potato into the mix.

Then, I added a bit of cayenne for some kick.

I was working off of a (much fancier)  recipe from David Lebovitz, who inspired the use of a leaf from a Brussels sprout as a garnish.


This turned out to be an easy, fun, little vegan soup that even my carnivorous husband enjoyed.

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 leeks, washed and sliced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups water
3 potatoes, cubed
1 sweet potato, cubed
Black pepper, to taste

Saute the leeks in olive oil until soft in a large soup pot.


Chop potatoes.  I didn't bother to peel them because I like the skins.  I did wash and scrub them very well, though.



Add thyme and cayenne to leeks and stir.

Add broth, water, potatoes, and sweet potatoes.


Allow to cook for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.

Bend with an immersion blender.

Ladle into bowls, top with black pepper to taste, and garnish with a Brussels sprout leaf.

[P.S. -- If your picky husband -- who doesn't eat sweet potatoes -- peeks into the pot and assumes that the orange things he sees are carrots, do not disavow him of this notion.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...