Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Veg Up!

On Saturday morning, my wonderful husband offered to cook breakfast.

On the menu?

Pancakes, eggs, and sausage.

Delicious, for sure, but not exactly a plant-based, whole-foods meal.  I wasn't going to turn down such a wonderful offer, though, so I looked for ways to "veg up."

I added some walnuts and warmed some frozen blueberries to top the pancakes, and then mixed some cooked frozen spinach into my scrambled eggs.  These simple additions filled the meal with vitamins and minerals and made a meal of otherwise empty calories thoroughly nourishing.  The best part?  It was about what I could ADD, not what I had to take away.

The overall healthfulness of the meal was also helped by the fact that my husband used relatively "clean" ingredients.  The pancake mix and sausages were relatively clean from Trader Joe's, and he used yolks from only half the eggs (4 egg whites with only 2 yolks, scrambled together and then split amongst the family).  Even the ketchup is the organic kind with no high-fructose corn syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...